Do you mean regular AI ? Or Sleepers ?
As far as I know, regular NPC controller AI is pretty basic
- Spawning an entity in an asteroid belt you warp to, or when triggered by a deadspace complex mechanic.
- Picking a random target as a group or in response to a deadspace complex trigger.
- Using whatever effects available to them on the chosen target.
- Warping out of the encounter area when in danger (does not apply to missions).
When it comes to sleepers, it's a different story.
The upgraded NPC controller is much more efficient at kicking you in the face, namely :
- Picking an optimal target based on dynamic criteria.
- Picking a secondary target for effects, based on dynamic criteria (applies to both friendly and hostile targets).
- Using remote assistance on each other.
- Using evasive maneuvering when approaching their chosen target from a large distance.
While regular AI will aggro you based on you shooting them, coming into aggro range or triggering their group by shooting something you should no...
Sleepers AI is much more dangerous because they will change target if they feel the need to. I couldn't find data regarding this, but there were complaints from drone users that their drones where disposed of by sleepers very fast.
On a more general notes, there were some complaints about sleepers being challenging only because they were cheating :
- super Fast lock
- Extreme ranges of their webs, scrams and other EWar
- Neuting ability on their weapons
- Extreme damage output
That's no maths, but at least it's a start ;)
They seem to favor what they can destroy fast, rather than regular AI almost never changing target once they aggro. As such sleepers fight cannot be : warp in tank, aggro, warp the fleet, pew pew with no problems.
Also note (thx Nathan Cox for this) Sleepers do omni damage, and like you said they do target drones and logistics. PVP tactics should be used against sleepers, not PVE. Anything that would make sense for you to do in PVP, they will already be doing to you