To further your example of the Drake vs. the Tengu. If you are used to the Drake and have high skills in missiles and shield tanking, the Tengu will blow you away. It does more than double the damage and tanks just as much as the Drake. In the same setup, you fly at around 500mps. The Tengu is awesome and is very much suited to WH life. All the points you make are valid and I will summarize them below in order of importance (IMHO) in terms of WH application. Here's a tip, three spider tanking faction-fit Tengus can easily do C4 and even C5 WHs. With a but more (perhaps ECM) support, you may even be able to take on C6 with this fit.
There are a few drawbacks to using the Tengu in WHS though, chiefly is that it will probably cost you well over ISK2B to build a officer/faction-fit Tengu. A lot of iskies to risk in 0.0 with no Local. (Spam that scanner button, anyone...) Also, Tengu uses active shield tank - so a energy neutralizer or NOS is its weak point. I often see PvPers using Pilgrim/Curse against Tengus for just this reason. Check out the loadouts on battleclinic and find your perfect fit.
- Speed, DPS and Tank combination second to none (but it comes at a huge price)
- Cap-stable local tank or Cap-stable remote rep (some officer/plex mods and T2 rigs required)
- Versatility. (but requires docking outside WHS to change sub-system fit)
- Also, reduces the number of ships you need to keep in WHS to live there.
- If you are into WHS industry, everything you need to build T3 ships can be found in WHS. (Again, you have to assemble them in a station outside the WHS though.)
- They are just soooo cool! :p
BTW, if you have a look at CSM minutes, it may be possible to assemble (and change subsystem fitting) in WHS soon.